Family-owned businesses in Jacksonville need to plan for the succession of their businesses, in the event that something unexpected happens. If you need help from experienced business attorneys, contact our office for help today.
Having a business is more than just having a source of income – for many business owners. This is a legacy that can be passed down to future generations and it should be protected accordingly.
Safeguarding Your Business
Family-owned businesses in Jacksonville and the surrounding communities need to ensure the proper succession of the business when the time comes. Despite the need for proper planning, Jacksonville business owners face certain challenges during these types of transitions. Those challenges include the passing of an owner, retirement, or employees leaving the company. Unfortunately, this can lead to the business owner facing risks on a personal level.
To ensure that your business is safeguarded so you can pass it on to whomever you wish, Jacksonville family-owned businesses should have a plan in place for the future. The Edwards Law Firm is here to offer our guidance and support in this area, so you are able to protect the company that you have invested your time, energy, and money. Our caring staff is well-versed in the realm of family-owned businesses and what succession means for you. Reach out to our team by calling (904) 672-7600 for help today.
We can help answer questions, such as:
- How can I protect my family-owned business from unforeseen risks?
- What can I do to make sure my business is protected?
- How can an estate planning attorney in Jacksonville help and support me?
Protecting Your Family-Owned Business in Jacksonville
To ensure the longevity and success of your family business, it is important that you identify and mitigate any potential risks your business may face. These risks can vary based on your business structure and partnerships. Key considerations include:
- Disability: If a key member becomes incapacitated, who will assume their responsibilities?
- Divorce: How would a divorce among the owners affect the business? Are there measures to prevent an ex-spouse from gaining significant control?
- Departure: What protocols are in place if an owner decides to exit the business? How are shares valued and transferred?
- Death: In the event of an owner’s passing, how will the business continue? Are there provisions to prevent a significant estate tax burden?
We can guide you through these scenarios, utilizing tools like buy-sell agreements, incorporation, powers of attorney, and trusts to ensure the continuity and protection of your business. We have the tools and knowledge to help you along this journey so your assets are protected and the business you have built is passed on to whom you wish.
How Can a Jacksonville Family-Owned Business Attorney Assist You?
The Edwards Law Firm, PA offers comprehensive support to protect both your personal assets and your family business. Our commitment is to ensure your legacy thrives through generations. Call us at (904) 672-6700 or contact us online to discover how we can be of service to you.